Deep Roots Remix Event
skip
Home » Forums » Features » Need a way to specify multiple artists when submitting

Need a way to specify multiple artists when submitting

DJ Matt Hite
permalink   Wed, Nov 10, 2004 @ 5:37 PM
… So I grabbed all the sample packs from the site and threw them into one directory. Twiddled these around in Acid and came up with something short, sweet, and obnoxious. Went to upload it and realized I can only associate it with a single artist when sending it up as a remix. It’s not really an original song — more of a mash … so how do you give credit across artists? The closest I could come up with was to credit it to a sample pack, but alas I used samples from a few of the packs, so that doesn’t work.

Anyways, the point is that there should be the capability to indicate that its a mash of multiple songs, or that it utilizes multiple artists in the remix. Make sense?
admin
permalink   Thu, Nov 11, 2004 @ 9:05 AM
So actually, you can do exactly that — if you go to the OTHER artist’s song and hit ‘Post Reply Remix’ you’ll see a list of songs you’ve already uploaded. and you can ‘attach’ the previously uploaded song to that one too.

Alas, this feature is really important and seems to be ‘buried’ — we’ll try to come up with ways to overcome the fact that the mechanism is in place, just not evident.

Victor
Lucas Gonze
permalink   Sat, Nov 13, 2004 @ 11:03 AM
Mike and I talked about this a while ago. He wanted the feature and I tried to convince him that it was too hard, because drawing out the relationships would require something like graphviz.

Leaving aside from the issue of graphing the relationships, the input could be done with a textarea that accepted a list of URLs of input samples.
DJ Matt Hite
permalink   Sat, Nov 13, 2004 @ 7:04 PM
Quote: Mike and I talked about this a while ago. He wanted the feature and I tried to convince him that it was too hard, because drawing out the relationships would require something like graphviz.

Leaving aside from the issue of graphing the relationships, the input could be done with a textarea that accepted a list of URLs of input samples.

I’m just thinking that if you were allowed to search for and select not just one artist, but multiple artists.Perhaps give the options to select multiple sources when uploading.
admin
permalink   Sat, Nov 13, 2004 @ 7:52 PM
yup I’m working on it
admin
permalink   Sun, Nov 14, 2004 @ 3:32 PM
OK, matt, lucas I’ve changed the ‘reply remix’ pages to be more like a shopping cart where you gather the remixes you want to attribute before uploading. Do me a favor and when you get a chance go ahead and try it.

Matt, you can retroactively apply it to your remix and attribute all the things you sampled on one screen (search for ‘wired’)

Lemm know if it works for you guys,
Victor