Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Announcements » Facebook Login Enabled

Facebook Login Enabled

victor
permalink   Thu, Feb 12, 2015 @ 12:14 AM
Hello ccMixters!

We have enabled Facebook login on this site.

How to use it:

When you are logged out of ccMixter you’ll see a little FB blue button at the top of the screen.

Click on that button and tell FB it’s ok to share your FB profile with us.

What this means:

Privacy - FB does not get any information from ccM about you other than you are using the ccM site. We don’t get anything from FB except the email address you use in your FB profile and other public stuff. As of this writing we’re ignoring everything but that email address.

The first time you use this feature depends on how much we already know about you:

You have never created an account on ccM

You’ll be asked to pick a ccMixter user name and we’ll create an account here and attach your future FB logins here to that account. Welcome!!

You have exactly one ccM account and the email in that account matches the email in your FB profile

You’ll be logged into ccM and taken to your ccM profile page.

You have more than one ccM account and at least one of those matches the email in your FB profile

You’ll be taken to a screen where you can pick which ccM account you want to ‘attach’ to your FB login here. We’ll use that the next time you login via FB.

You have one or more ccM account and none of the emails match the email in your FB account

You will be treated like a user who never created an account here (see above) and you will not be able to use the FB login feature to access any of those accounts

For all cases above:

The next time you log in via FB we’ll take you right to your ccM profile!

Enjoy!

ps: It goes without saying that, like with any new feature, there are bound to be bugs/glitches. If you happen to run into one it would be really helpful to use the “contact site administrator” link at the bottom to let us know.

UPDATE As you can see below we seem to be having issues on some versions of IE. Also seems Chrome is way more reliable.
Platinum Butterfly
permalink   Thu, Feb 12, 2015 @ 1:47 AM
to enable it when you not have the right email adress simply log in once with your old one and change it to the right one in your profile :)

permalink   victor Thu, Feb 12, 2015 @ 9:55 AM
Yes, you can make it happen by doing these steps:

- In ‘Edit Your Profile’ (on the left) change your email to the same email as your FB Profile and submit changes
- Log out of ccMixter
- Now log in via the FB button

However, if you change your ccMixter email to something else later the association will be lost again.
Kirkoid
permalink   Thu, Feb 12, 2015 @ 10:37 AM
I got a red box with [object Error] in it in IE, but worked ok in Chrome.

permalink   victor Thu, Feb 12, 2015 @ 11:51 AM
Thanks- will look at this later today at an Windows box.

permalink   victor Thu, Feb 12, 2015 @ 10:12 PM
so the only Windows I have available to me is an XP box running IE6 (hazah!) which is worthless - and a Windows 10 Tech Preview where I could not reproduce the error and everything ran fine.

Which version of Win/IE are you running?

permalink   Hans Atom Mon, Feb 16, 2015 @ 7:56 AM
I am using IE9 on Win7 and get this red object error.
musikpirat
permalink   Mon, Mar 2, 2015 @ 9:18 AM
And another Datenkraken added to ccmixter. :( Thanks to RequestPolicy neither Google nor Facebook know that I’m coming here but not everybody uses this plugin.

Did you think about using Piwik for user tracking and adding the Facebook code only to the login page?

permalink   victor Mon, Mar 2, 2015 @ 9:55 AM
We dial into Google for analytics on every page and I’m 99% sure that it is done anonymously. It really, REALLY helps us a lot to know how people are using the site and we don’t have the manpower to crunch the numbers ourselves.

FB certainly notices when you login here via their SDK but I didn’t think the FB snippet we use actually dials in any tracking data but I’ll look into that again to make sure.

Thanks.

permalink   musikpirat Mon, Mar 2, 2015 @ 10:12 AM
Give Piwik a chance for the analytics part. :o)

Maybe it’s pirate paranoia, but I do not believe that neither facebook nor google let any bit of data slip from the analysis. But I don’t want to start a discussion about that topic. As long as you keep ccmixter running and I can opt out to their service, I’ll come back as often as possible!

permalink   spinmeister Fri, Mar 6, 2015 @ 12:34 PM
While I have to admit, I also died a little inside when I saw the FB login, I get the benefit to ccM of Google Analytics. But haven’t (yet?) understood the FB benefit to ccM.

permalink   victor Fri, Mar 6, 2015 @ 1:06 PM
Roughly half of the admin contact is related to registration. There wasn’t enough time for a total rewrite of the sign up process for the Music for Healing event. We though it was important to make it as easy as possible. As a result we went from 300 sign ups in Jan to nearly 2000 in Feb.

permalink   spinmeister Fri, Mar 6, 2015 @ 7:46 PM
Thanks for explaining the background. Let’s hope there are no unintended consequences of having the FB connect widget on every ccM page.

Also will be interesting to see if the rise of quality material and/or other ccM participation will match the quantity of additional signups.

permalink   spinmeister Fri, Mar 6, 2015 @ 12:29 PM
Quote: musikpirat… Thanks to RequestPolicy … I’m using Ghostery to keep the data-collectors (somewhat) at bay. :-)