Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » DIY » Switched to MAC - DAW recomendations?

Switched to MAC - DAW recomendations?

Blake
permalink   Mon, Jul 29, 2013 @ 11:56 AM
Hey guys, it’s been a while since I’ve uploaded anything here, and even longer since I’ve been to the forums. I came here because I’m going to college at American University in the Fall for Audio Technology, and I had to get a Mac. Now, I’ve been using FL Studio on the PC for 4 years now, and I can pretty much say I’ve mastered it.

I’ve installed boot camp on my mac to run FL Studio, but I would like to take advantage of Mac native programs. I will be using Pro Tools for class assignments, and if I decide to record anyone else, but for my own creations, I would like to use something else. I will be primarily making EDM, rap, and dance instrumentals. I liked FL Studio because it was so easy to make full songs with full control over everything in the song without any hardware. I also loved the step sequencer, something I think other programs don’t have after doing a little research.

Hopefully someone has had to this before, and can direct me in the right way! I have no problem using boot camp, but if there’s something I’m missing out on, I would appreciate any tips.

Thanks in advance.
Admiral Bob
permalink   Tue, Jul 30, 2013 @ 8:53 AM
Logic!

And of course, try out GarageBand. It is surprisingly useful and you already have it.

permalink   Blake Tue, Jul 30, 2013 @ 8:57 AM
Does logic have a good set of instrument plugins? I don’t have a lot of money to spend on plugins, and saying as they’re much “easier” to get in vst form for windows, I wouldn’t want to be using an empty DAW unless I purchase my own 3rd party plugins.

permalink   ScOmBer Thu, Aug 1, 2013 @ 2:56 PM
Having been a PC man for many years I moved to the dark side 18 months ago. I was tempted to run Windows on the Mac but instead, opted to keep my Protools/Win DAW still functional. Fortunately by audio interface has two firewire ports and I can run them both at once. I very rarely use the PC now though, once I got use to Logic and its plugins (and the stability of the Mac). There are programs that will allow you to use all your VST’s in Logic but the only ones I still use are some mastering and reverb plugs that I was familiar with in protools.
Logic has a good suite of out of the box plugins, that with a bit of learning can achieve most things you want to do. Im no Apple Fanboy, but I have to admit I can’t remember the last crash I had or system choke when I loaded too many plugins.
Diving into a new DAW will open up some possiblities that you never thought of and a workflow change may bring instant benefits to your creative process.

permalink   Blake Thu, Aug 1, 2013 @ 3:29 PM
oh, so it’s possible to use vsts in mac? I would want to see how I could work in logic before purchasing it. I’m guessing someone at my school will have a copy of it and I can test it out in a few weeks. And you’re right, even with a beast of a mac, my boot camp performance is ever lower than my crappy pc laptop was. Thanks for the reply. If I end up switching I’ll post a reply.

permalink   ScOmBer Thu, Aug 1, 2013 @ 3:57 PM
I use Fxpansion .
Its $99 - there are some free VST-AU wrappers available.
There is some weird science involved in VST wrapping, often wont work on buggy VST’s but the stable solid ones have always converted for me. Good luck