Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Help » a question of usage of music from ccM

a question of usage of music from ccM

eeji
permalink   Tue, Nov 20, 2012 @ 2:37 PM
The company I work for in their wisdom of money saving have stopped paying for PRS and PPL licenses.

Would the CC licenses used by ccM allow ‘public performance’ in the workplace?

All works would of course be attributed as per the license conditions.

Any advice on this is greatly appreciated as its extremely tedious working in silence and ccM seems to be a solution - I just need to make sure first, before potentially playing musin unlicensed.
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Tue, Nov 20, 2012 @ 3:53 PM
What is your workplace? You are free to use any of the music available on ccMixter licensed with a cc-by license as long as you provide attribution to the artists.

You are also free to use cc-by-nc as long as you are using the music in a non-commercial way, and with full attribution. If your use generates revenue or is used in conjunction with a commercial venture, you must obtain the express permission of all artists involved.

As a registered user of ccMixter, you can create a playlist of songs that you can download or stream directly from the site.

You can also search ccMixter’s archives for cc-by licensed tracks at our sister site dig.ccmixter which has some search tools that make it very easy to search for music. However, while you can download songs from dig.ccmixter, at this time there is no playlist feature.
eeji
permalink   Wed, Nov 21, 2012 @ 12:31 PM
Thank you for the reply, its a small garage type workshop with no public access so just a few of us listening to help the day pass.
There is also a retail/trade counter but I’m more bothered about the two of us stuck in the back :)

permalink   Admiral Bob Wed, Nov 21, 2012 @ 1:17 PM
Yeah, if you just pump the tunes on the stereo, nobody would have any business suing you. :)

A Spanish court in 2006 found that Performance Rights organizations cannot collect from places playing only CC licensed pieces. I expect that precedent, even a Spanish one, would probably intimidate anyone who tried it most anywhere else.

permalink   eeji Wed, Nov 21, 2012 @ 3:50 PM
thats good to know, thank you :)