Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » DIY » How To Connect Sub woofer

How To Connect Sub woofer

Blake
permalink   Wed, Jan 5, 2011 @ 5:14 PM
I haven’t bought one yet, but I want to be prepared for when I do. I am currently using an M-audio fast track pro interface, hooked up to m-audio BX5a monitors… Both of the outputs of the interface are being sent to the speakers… leaving no room for any other outputs… If I were to buy a sub woofer, how would I connect it to the rest of my setup? If anyone has experience with this, please help :)
Clarence Simpson
permalink   Tue, Jan 18, 2011 @ 12:25 PM
I’m certainly no expert in this, but I think what you might need is called a “crossover”. It’s a device that takes an audio signal and splits up the low and high frequencies so that the lows can be sent to a subwoofer while the highs are sent to a different set of speakers.

Alternately, I think there are some subwoofers that have built-in crossovers. So, you’d plug the main audio outputs into the subwoofer which then plays the low frequencies. And the subwoofer has it’s own set of outputs that you plug your other set of speakers into. My computer speakers are like this.

In either case you’re going to want to be careful to make sure the plugs are compatible (RCA plugs vs. banana clips vs. clamp-down terminals vs. mini-headphone jacks)