Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » Features » BPM

BPM

The Institute of Contemporary Music
permalink   Sun, Jul 24, 2005 @ 2:02 AM
I’m new to this group and I am going to enter the remix contest with just 1 week left.

It would be *so* helpful if the artists included the BPM of their songs in the zip file. I was able to get the BPM of the Brad sucks song from the file on his site but for all the other artists I don’t have the BPM. I can not begin to tell you how much that would help me. For some artists such as the ones who record everything live they may not know but shame shame on you for not including the BPM info for the others.
permalink   Sun, Jul 24, 2005 @ 2:58 AM
Also why are mono samples encoded as stereo? This makes them twice as large and it takes me twice as long to download them and then I have to go through another step to make them mono again. I do not understand why people are doing this. If the left and right channel are exactly the same, it ought to be a mono wav file. It seems as if people don’t know what they are doing.
victor
permalink   Sun, Jul 24, 2005 @ 3:17 AM
What samples exactly are you talking about?

The ones on the ‘download loops’ page for the Magnatune contest?

VS
permalink   Sun, Jul 24, 2005 @ 8:10 AM
Yes sorry, I have not looked at any others yet.
victor
permalink   Sun, Jul 24, 2005 @ 8:17 AM
yes, well I also ask because it clearly states on that page that "Music licensed under the Sampling licenses (i.e. most of what is currently available on CC Mixter) is specifically NOT allowed to used in this contest."

and the 400+ loops (in the pre-cut loops anyway) have the BPM and key directly IN THEIR NAMES (besides embedded in the ACIDized riff sections) and I took special care to not encode mono samples as stereo — although with that many loops it’s likely that some slipped through.

Peace,
VS
permalink   Sun, Jul 24, 2005 @ 4:30 PM
Thanks for your reply. I use Cubase not Acid nor Fruityloops so acidizing won’t help me. Cubase is simply a more professional program. I worked with the songs that are on top tonight (Brad Sucks and Thornside to be specific). I noticed a couple mono tracks in there. I guess a lot of them are stereo because they have effects That’s bad but I’ll work with it. I would rather have the freedom to use whatever reverb I decide is best. Putting reverb on top of reverb would muddy the sound. I’m also used to having drums such as kick, high hat, and snare etc., all on separate tracks. I can make my own though

I got a pretty good start and I think I’ll make the rest of the music up myself.