Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » CC Licensing in Plain English with Practical Application Tips

CC Licensing in Plain English with Practical Application Tips

essesq
permalink   Fri, May 29, 2009 @ 6:41 PM
Does anyone here know if a document exists that explains the various CC licenses in plain English and explains how each might function if a content creator used them in various contexts?

I’m aware that there may be variations from place to place as to how the rules are applied precisely but there must be some general ideas that will hold up.

Some here are aware that I am a lawyer. I am not an expert on Intellectual Property. I had one course in copyright law in law school and that was a long time ago and my have things changed :-). One of the things I strive to do in bridging the gap between lawyers and lay people is to use real English and not legalese to explain the practical consequences of legal documents etc. Bottom line is that if two parties cannot understand the terms of a contract they won’t know what they are bound to do, just as one example.

Even with my legal background and my involvement here I find the CC License descriptions hard to get my head around and so I don’t think much about how I license my stuff. But I am getting to feel like the orthodontist that has crooked teeth :-).

If a document does not exist to explain the practical implications of the CC licenses I would like to take a crack at writing such a document. My method would be to study the license descriptions and then post my description and examples for comment on accuracy. All would carry the disclaimer that I was providing educational guidance only and not legal advice. However I think that once such a document is created more people might consider licensing their work or might be able to better use the process to achieve their creative goals, including me.

If anyone has any information, opinions or ideas for me to consider (like the URL of the document that fits my description :-) ) I am all ears.
teru
permalink   Fri, May 29, 2009 @ 10:37 PM
I don’t think it gets any simplier than the CC website. (?)

I believe you would be 100x more qualified than me so I’m going to step back now. : )

victor
permalink   Sat, May 30, 2009 @ 10:26 AM
The CC Wiki is a place to start. (This forum is a lousy place to continue…)

permalink   essesq Sat, May 30, 2009 @ 11:07 AM
Thanks and I hear you :-).