Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » Donate your music and sound effects to a worthy cause :)

Donate your music and sound effects to a worthy cause :)

lendrick
permalink   Fri, Apr 3, 2009 @ 12:24 PM
Greets!

I’m in the process of putting together a website that is intended to serve as an archive of quality art, music, and sound effects that are available under a GPL-compatible licenses (including several Creative Commons licenses) so that open source game developers can make use of it. If this sounds like a cool idea and you happen to have old music, sound effects, or art gathering dust on your hard drive, please consider uploading it to the archive — particularly if it’s something that won’t otherwise see the light of day.

We’re still in beta and looking for some usability feedback, so if you run into any problems or find anything annoying, please reply here and let me know.

The site is here:
http://opengameart.org

Drop by, poke around, and, if you’re up to it, donate some content. Smile

Peace,
Bart
victor
permalink   Fri, Apr 3, 2009 @ 1:43 PM
this is way too cool - also *cough*
gurdonark
permalink   Sun, Apr 12, 2009 @ 7:54 AM
Greetz,
Great idea!
I’ll go check it out.

r
remaxim
permalink   Wed, Jul 29, 2009 @ 7:31 PM
I like your idea, but actually none of the CC licenses seem to be really compatible with the GPL. I ve tried to “work” as a open source game composer for a while and had a lot of problems because of this.

I was told about a possible license, that could solve the problems. But there actually is just an idea of it atm and nobody who is trying to push it. If you want to I can try to explain the idea of it.

Nevertheless you are only providing content, so the license issue is a game makers problem. And I actually really like your idea, I ll definitely bookmark and maybe will use your site.

One last thing I wanted to mention: by putting out stuff as gpl or CC (except NC) you also allow commercial games (flash games etc.) to use your work. Maybe you should mention that to people contributing to your site, it would be at least fair to them. The Copyleft can only be enforced for the music(or code or media) itself, but not for the project it is used for.

Ciao,
remaxim

permalink   PorchCat Mon, Aug 17, 2009 @ 4:59 PM
It is my understanding that the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license removed and revised the portions of the CC license that created imcompatibility with the popular copyleft licenses, such as the DRM limitations.

IANAL and the open source community does not seem to have come to a clear opinion about the most recent sets of licenses (incuding the CC 3.0 license), so don’t take my word for gospel.

*meow*
Vidian
permalink   Sun, Aug 2, 2009 @ 9:57 AM
I like this idea too!
A lot of resources look really helpful, I used to be obsessed with Rm2k3, that stole too many years of my life :P

haha, but what I can use now is all those sound effects!!
max_thehitman
permalink   Sun, Nov 1, 2009 @ 10:12 AM
This is a very nice website you created. Not a great fan of certain games, but Great music in there.