Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » Permission to not attribute?

Permission to not attribute?

SarahTaylor
permalink   Mon, Jul 14, 2008 @ 11:14 AM
Going out on a limb here :

I’m a video producer working with Real Estate tours online.
I create an MLS-compliant video that does not allow “credits” at the end of the video.
(MLS - multiple listing service : a database where Realtors list homes for sale).

I’m looking specifically for instrumental, non-vocal music that would be background music for these videos. For the MLS-compliant video I cannot credit the artist within the video : anyone out there that would be willing to work with me?

I basically need “elevator” music.
If this is anyone’s genre; contact me and maybe we could work out an agreement / joint venture.

My email: Sarah@LocalExposure.com
Or reply to this post.
Thank you!
victor
permalink   Mon, Jul 14, 2008 @ 11:24 AM
btw, in case it helps I found these instrumental remixes that are ‘attribution’ licensed (sorted by artist to make it easier to identify who you might want to contact):

[EDIT] Actually many of these are tagged ‘instrumental’ but are not ;( I’m cleaning those up now.

permalink   John Pazdan Tue, Jul 15, 2008 @ 6:09 AM
Is elevator music like that stuff Eno used to do?..sorry, it’s early.

permalink   SarahTaylor Tue, Jul 15, 2008 @ 5:35 PM
Elevator music is really boring music - not that I’m looking for boring, per se - just something for the background - like “filler” music.

permalink   SarahTaylor Tue, Jul 15, 2008 @ 5:37 PM
Thanks for the list! This is fantastic!
I did find that some labeled “instrumental” did have vocals. Now I’ve gotten used to scanning for “vocals” in the description, then checking to make sure it’s not labeled “Non Commercial” and then taking the leap and clicking the preview button.

But my biggest concern is that even those that are “Attribute” only - if I don’t physically give credit at the end of my video am I going to be hunted down?

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Tue, Jul 15, 2008 @ 6:01 PM
while i can understand the issues of not being able to attribute, i’m just going to say i think it’s a bit unfair to ask someone that gives you something for free to not get credit for it. to me, that’s the least the artist deserves and if you’re not willing to give them that, than my response would be to go hire someone to do it. if you pay them, you own the IP and you don’t have to attribute them. but if you don’t want to pay someone, and don’t want to even give them credit, at least my response would be “sorry, no thanks”.

sorry if this sounds flippant or rude, not intended, but i personally find your request to be a bit out of line, and counter to what this site is about. everything here has been licensed with creative opportunities to share. the music here has been used in countless commercial video projects, large and small. i suppose you could just use the music and not give credit and not tell anyone. and i’m only speaking for myself here but that would be pretty lame, and the fact you asked about it doesn’t make me think that’s the case. but good luck. maybe someone here is willing to be an anonymous artist for you, but it won’t be me.

permalink   John Pazdan Tue, Jul 15, 2008 @ 6:09 PM
Sarah..
Why don’t you just get some stock library sound track stuff? There’s tons of it around, haven’t you used this before? I’ve found it’s what most commercial vid people use…anonymous, elevator-like, Bob is buying a condo and he’s at ease with the economy tanking..music.

permalink   SarahTaylor Wed, Jul 23, 2008 @ 4:40 PM
Quote: John Pazdan …most commercial vid people use…anonymous, elevator-like, Bob is buying a condo and he’s at ease with the economy tanking..music.

HILARIOUS - got a great mental picture with this one!

permalink   SarahTaylor Wed, Jul 23, 2008 @ 4:35 PM
Thank you, MC, for the insight. I’m new to CCMixter and am fairly new to finding stock music (sad to say, but true). Your bitter-sweet comment helped me see both sides of the fence.
In all regular production I would never neglect to attribute the artist for music I used; however, when creating video for the MLS no credit can be given to anyone - not the realtor, seller, producer … So for this specific situation that is why I posed the question.
I know that action doesn’t release me or make me special to skimp the system and I do agree with you. I just really like this setup and hate to trapse around the net to find some other elevator music generating site. Anyone got any suggestions of a good one?

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Wed, Jul 23, 2008 @ 6:34 PM
As previously mentioned, you can buy commercially produced, royalty-free stock samples and loops from a number of sources on CD or via download. Alternately, if you own a mac, you can also easily create your own background music by creating tracks with stock samples from the loop library in Garageband, the DAW (digital audio workstation) that comes bundled with new Macs. You can also buy Garageband (packaged as part of the iLife package)for about $100.

Taking this route means you can create endless tracks of your own easily and quickly and not attribute anything. If you can produce video, you should have no trouble using Garageband.

permalink   victor Tue, Jul 15, 2008 @ 6:21 PM
the list above should have filtered out non-commercial tracks (and those that are tagged both instrumental and vocals)

Regarding hunting you down - I’m not sure what you’re asking - if you’re asking do you have permission to use the tracks in ways denied by the license then answer is definitely not. You need to get permission from the artist to use the track in ways not otherwise allowed in the license. Besides being illegal, breaking the license is just a royally screwed up thing to do.

Regarding MC Jack’s post I think you’ll find a variety of feeling about giving credit or not. Personally, I don’t feel quite as strong about it as he does. For me it’s a case by case basis. If I think it might lead to something then I would grant permission without attribution in limited, well documented circumstances. If I thought it would lead to abuse, obviously, I wouldn’t bother.

(btw, my house got listed today - we didn’t get a video, I should talk to my agent ;)

permalink   SarahTaylor Wed, Jul 23, 2008 @ 4:39 PM
Good luck with selling your home!

Fourstones, what you commented in regards to what MC stated got me thinking and here’s a new question.

(Now I’m about to sound like a real cheap-ass and hate to ask this):

When I use a song and go back to the artist’s section and click on the “I used this in a … video” does that count as attribution or does my video physically have to physically give credit?

permalink   duckett Wed, Jul 23, 2008 @ 7:31 PM
Hi Sarah.
I understand your predicament, and am glad you love what you find here, but for all intents and purposes, it seems as if there’s an impasse here. Consider the plight of the “session player” or studio musician- whereas they will never be mobbed for autographs in airports, they are paid to play exactly the right thing, at the right time, no matter what. Quick- who wrote, played, or sang the Juicy Fruit jingle? You know the one- “The taste is gonna move ya”, etc. No idea? Me neither, w/o Googling it to death. Yet, whoever they are/were, they’re OK with that- because they were PAID.

ccMixter is kinda the opposite, in a sense; Very loosely- “It’s completely free, as long as any listener never has to wonder who created it, or struggle to find that out.”
I’d be perfectly willing to create some nice bland tour-the-property music anonymously- as long as I were paid for it. Conversely, I’d be happy to do the same for free- as long as I were always properly credited for the work.
This is just my opinion/position, but I figured I’d let you hear one more remixer’s POV.
I don’t think you’re “evil” at all, Sarah- I’m just not sure how there’s any alternative but to try seeking another source for what you need.
Best of luck, I hope a solution presents itself…

permalink   SarahTaylor Sat, Aug 2, 2008 @ 10:26 PM
Duckett - that was the PERFECT way to explain it. I’ve spent a lot more time on CCMixter and have perused what other people are doing with video and I will make sure to credit from now on.

But the way you explained it makes perfect sense. Thanks for that.

permalink   Doghouse Riley Tue, Aug 5, 2008 @ 8:07 PM
Hey there Sarah. Listen, what yor lookin for is called “Library” or “needledrop” music and it is available from all sorts a sources…even from me and my bidness. There are plenty of libraries to choose from but yor signatory provider has got ta have a “broadcast/non-broadcast license” to provide it to ya. And, here’s the part you probly ain’t wantin ta hear…ya hafta pay for it. But you know, it ain’t that much, really. I’d suggest that ifn ya hear somethin ya like here at CC just open up a dialog with the feller or gal who made it and go from there or contact a music providin company like mine for other options. Since this here’s not a “bidness endeavor” for me I’d just suggest ya Google “needledrop music” and see what comes up. Good huntin, ol pal.