Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » DIY » Do people like or remix Track Packs?

Do people like or remix Track Packs?

vo1k1
permalink   Mon, May 19, 2008 @ 7:04 AM
Do people like or remix Track Packs?

Does ccmixter have a convention for uploading track packs? These would be multi-track versions of songs – individual files that you could import into DAW, line up at 0 secs, and be good to go (and maybe MIDI tempo maps and tracks also).

The reason I ask is that sometimes I get stuck in the mix, hitting a wall (the mix doesn’t get any better, just different). This seems like an opportunity to upload the tracks for someone else to mix, if they were so inclined. Also, there are times when I’m not in the music creation mood, but am in the music production mood, and would love to try to tweak out someone else’s work.

If there is not a track pack convention, maybe I should just throw something in (like the multi-track version of Hollywood Picture Book (feat Calendar Girl and Kaer Trouz) – which I think could probably be mixed better.
remaxim
permalink   Mon, May 26, 2008 @ 2:47 PM
I m quite new to ccm myself, but I think I can remember someone saying that midi files will be appreciated very much. If you want to upload the individual lines of the track to ccm I also think that no one has something against that (except maybe the guy who runs the servers and pays for them… that’s probably fourstones ;) ). Personally I would be very happy about you uploading your instruments to ccm. If I understood fourstones right in another tread it’s even OK to release fully mixed original tracks as long as you include the individual instruments of it.

I also thought that someone could remix my last remix better than me. That’s why I just uploaded the individual instruments of the track to ccm.

permalink   vo1k1 Wed, May 28, 2008 @ 3:08 PM
After my first post in this thread, I uploaded a series of track packs, starting with Hollywood Picture Book Track Pack 1 and ending with Hollywood Picture Book Track Pack 5. I did not think about adding MIDI files, that is a good idea. Though I tend to drift away from the original MIDI rendering after various processing.
zikweb
permalink   Sun, Jul 20, 2008 @ 5:20 AM
this is not far from the same concept applied on zikweb with sample packs to D/L isn’t it?
LINK

permalink   vo1k1 Sun, Jul 20, 2008 @ 9:29 AM
Thanks for link - very interesting - Zikweb appears to have been around for sometime - will have to check it out some more!
zotz
permalink   Sun, Jul 20, 2008 @ 8:08 AM
Quote: vo1k1Do people like or remix Track Packs?

I appreciate the ones I have messed with. Brad Sucks so far.
spinmeister
permalink   Mon, Jul 21, 2008 @ 12:56 PM
the remix packs I have uploaded in the context for my a minor theory side project use the convention of starting each sample at a full bar boundary rather than everything at bar 0. That is primarily a file size saving measure, since it also avoids duplicate audio sections.

So it doesn’t emulate the idea of having someone else just performing the mix for a fixed arrangement, which is fascinating, but maybe not up every remixers alley.

However there’s always one issue around lining up mp3 files: mp3 files typically contain a few milliseconds of silence at the beginning. So even lining up things to even bar boundaries typically needs a little post-import adjustment in a given DAW.

permalink   duckett Mon, Jul 21, 2008 @ 8:39 PM
Amen to that! (PS: I *will* be giving A Minor Theory samples a go soon)
NEVER (and I mean “not under any circumstance”) allow your DAW to dictate where things line up… there is often a small fraction o’ time donated by the program toward “fade-in”… and sometimes, that will hurt more than help. Use your ears (after eyes) as the final judge, and let the final results speak louder than any software-derived decision ;-)
Just my $0.02…
MC Jack in the Box
permalink   Wed, Jul 23, 2008 @ 12:34 PM
i think in some cases, full length tracks are great to have (like in shannon’s case) but to me, that’s more the exception than the rule. the file size issues with FL tracks, even when compressed and zipped, still usually scare me off. as long as it’s got a bpm tag, i’m good to go with loops. and as has been mentioned, the mp3 issue with space at the beginning of a track is well documented and has resulted in many an off synch track. at least for me, learning how to blow up tracks, nudging them,slicing them up, and free form re-arranging things is where it’s at in taking it to the next level. and for cryin out loud, turn off the snap to grid already…. :)