Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Help » Q up Arts answer in the case of relicensing

Q up Arts answer in the case of relicensing

Nitropox@CCmixter
permalink   Tue, Jun 12, 2007 @ 4:45 PM
We have some general discussion about copyrights and using samples under CC 3.0 license.
As did Vic suggest i written an email to one of the samples vendor. I am in possesion of Voices of Istanbul by Q up Art CD, and i used these samples for my Chris Willits remix.

Here i am quoting answer from em:
[..]Thank you for your email. I’m not familiar with Creative Common 3.0…however, if letting users remix your song and if it provides access to our loop content by itself, this would allow users to grab the loop and use it. This would go against our license policy.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Best Regards, Doug/Q Up Arts

Well, this is straight interpretation. However i see there a small suggestion about “providing acces to the loop content itself”, i am afraid i am not able to license my work under CC 3.0 , because in result you my fellow mixters cannot remix my tune. I am sure every other vendor will treat this case similar but of course you guys should try to ask some more other companies.

Well, now i am gonna remove my remix from the site and i hope this example will give some of us idea what we can do and what we cannot over this site.

(note for Victor: feel free to move this topic wherever you wish..i just didnt know where to post it)
victor
permalink   Tue, Jun 12, 2007 @ 5:54 PM
Don’t mis-interpret Code, when they say ‘by itself’ I’d bet the farm they mean ‘isolated and unchanged’ which means you would acting as a distributor of the actual loop “as is” which they prohibit.

Sooooo, if the loop is “mixed in” and transformed it should be ok — no???

otherwise… blech.

permalink   Nitropox@CCmixter Tue, Jun 12, 2007 @ 6:25 PM
Well, for sure they do not want me to provide direct acces to unprocessed sample and i never did such thing because i avoid situations when a certain loop is considered as a music by itself and there is no other content.

To be 100% sure we would have to build up our own sound library and make music only with these ‘save’ samples. Tbh, its hard task.

This all thing is a hard nut to crack. In the moddern art everything is made from scratches and samples. Look at Fatboy, Thievery Corp or Paul Oakenfold. These guys are sampler masters.
Oke, this is a bit different story.
Anyways, i am gonna ask some more loop vendors about the case.

permalink   victor Tue, Jun 12, 2007 @ 6:31 PM
to 100% sure yes, although at 33,381 samples freesound is doing pretty well.

If you could hold off a day or so Code, I’d like to work up a single piece of email that we all use so that everybody is asking (and answering the same question(s)) in the same way… cool?

VS

permalink   Nitropox@CCmixter Tue, Jun 12, 2007 @ 6:39 PM
surething :)

meantime i am gonna programm some grooves made only from CC samples and publish it as samplepack.

We gotta take the power back!

permalink   John Pazdan Wed, Jun 13, 2007 @ 12:46 PM
Quote: fourstonesIf you could hold off a day or so Code, I’d like to work up a single piece of email that we all use so that everybody is asking (and answering the same question(s)) in the same way… cool?

VS

Victor when you do this, please put it in a conspicuous place (like my mailbox ;0…I will get it directly to several companies I work with..I am really curious to hear their responses.

permalink   victor Wed, Jun 13, 2007 @ 2:20 PM
I just had a big one drop in my lap so this might take a little bit of time… hang in there…

Thanks
VS