Watch the Songbirds Event Livestream Replay
skip
Home » Forums » Announcements » COVID-19: A Message of Hope for our Community

COVID-19: A Message of Hope for our Community

Snowflake
admin
permalink   Fri, Mar 13, 2020 @ 4:50 PM
Dear ccMixter Community,

As the world responds to the COVID-19 situation, we want you to know that ccMixter, already a completely virtual organization, remains fully operational. We hope our music community is a place where we can support one another during this unprecedented, challenging time.

The health, safety, and well-being of everyone at ccMixter is important to us. Your managerial and admin team continue with our work-from-home program. We are here to continue to support your music and creativity.

We created the Us, Universe Secret Mixter as a means to connect to one another, in a cathartic way. Many of us believe tapping into our creativity can be a healing way to manage crisis. We hope you’ll consider signing up — this is a small thing we can do to come together during this pandemic.

Please make extra effort to care for yourselves, your family, friends and neighbors. This is a challenging time for everyone, especially artists and musicians impacted by show and tour cancellations and postponements, and individuals who are unable to work or attend school. We send our gratitude to all of you and your families who work in health-care services.

For the latest information and precautions you can take, please visit the World Health Organization website here: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019, and within the United States at the CDC’s website here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

We’re grateful that the ccMixter community is inclusive, supportive and compassionate. Kindness can help us get through this.

Please stay safe and healthy.

~Snowflake, the ccMixter Admin Team & all of us at ArtisTech Media
Kraftamt
permalink   Fri, Mar 13, 2020 @ 7:35 PM
Thank you very much for this post. Certainly the situation is not easy. Sometimes very scary in my home country. People are afraid and many panic too. Public life is slowly coming to a standstill. Creativity draws a lot of strength and it takes away fear and uncertainty.

permalink   Snowflake Sat, Mar 14, 2020 @ 9:16 AM
These are strange times. I’m sorry there is fear and panic as we go through this shock and change. I hope music helps!

permalink   spinningmerkaba Tue, Mar 17, 2020 @ 9:03 PM
I am in California. We have basically shut down. There is some hysteria, but so far I have not experienced any first hand.

All the toilet paper is gone. But there is still food and coffee.

It feels strange. Like a living fiction.

Let’s keep each other updated.

Stay healthy.

permalink   soundtails Sat, Mar 21, 2020 @ 10:21 AM
Im in Mn. Our Governor will probably do the same. Some hysteria/rumors in our building. Reports of toilet paper also. Natural fresh foods, people tend to call it to expensive. Store is small and the staff is doing all they can good Peoples.

permalink   spinningmerkaba Mon, Mar 23, 2020 @ 10:15 AM
They called in the national guard last night here in California. It looks like it will get worse before it gets better. I’ve been sheltering in place for 10 days now. It’s been frustrating to watch how long it takes for people to wake up and stay home. Our hospitals are about to get hit hard I’m afraid. And our economy is staggering. As musicians, we are getting hit really hard. But we’ll bounce back!
Kara Square
permalink   Sat, Mar 14, 2020 @ 11:54 AM
Thank you, Snowflake. I deeply believe that music is healing, connecting, and cathartic. Here’s a beautiful example of an Italian neighborhood connecting through song. I look forward to connecting with everyone through Us, Universe. Sending love and warmth to everyone in our community.

permalink   Jihfa Mon, Mar 16, 2020 @ 4:55 AM
I am in Italy, in one of the most affected areas. I keep working and the situation is really difficult. I hope everything goes smoothly as soon as possible. Be strong and take care of each other. Thank you all. Ciao

permalink   Kara Square Mon, Mar 16, 2020 @ 5:15 AM
Thank you, Jihfa. Sending love your way…

permalink   Jihfa Wed, Mar 18, 2020 @ 4:58 AM
love for you too, thanks

permalink   spinningmerkaba Tue, Mar 17, 2020 @ 9:08 PM
Are you able to work from home? I work at the local community college and it was shut down on Monday. I’ve been at home for three days now. We are in an area that is so far not so affected. We are being cautious. I hope you are in a safe place too.

permalink   Jihfa Wed, Mar 18, 2020 @ 5:01 AM
The same here. Blocked the whole country. All commercial activities, schools, universities, museums etc. Deserted streets and nobody can leave the house. The government has established strict rules, only pharmacies and grocery stores are allowed. Despite this, some big companies, factories, remain active. We will try to pay attention and do our best. Thanks for your interest, take care.

permalink   spinningmerkaba Wed, Mar 18, 2020 @ 5:03 PM
Today was a beautiful day here. The rains have cleared, leaving snow capped mountains in the distance under majestic white clouds and blue skies. We could see the islands clearly from the beach.

We can still leave our homes, but everything is shut down except for the main needs. We are practicing social distancing. We can still go for walks!

I live in an artist community, and when I got home some musicians were jamming in the common area outside. We opened up our balcony doors and listened from up above.

Sending you some good vibrations from the west coast.

permalink   Jihfa Fri, Mar 20, 2020 @ 6:26 AM
Glad to hear this. For the next 3 days i will stay at home. Some music will help my fears. Thank you very much, i need it, we all need good vibes. Ciao

permalink   spinningmerkaba Mon, Mar 23, 2020 @ 10:41 AM
I hear in the news that the crisis in Italy is getting better. How are you?

permalink   Jihfa Thu, Mar 26, 2020 @ 1:36 PM
I’m fine thanks. At home. The contagion continue to rise in some areas. Now the government has introduced stricter rules for citizens. The military are using drones and developing an app to geolocate positives or maybe anyone. At the same time, the hospitals are not adequately equipped. A surreal situation like G.Orwell. I don’t know but all this leaves me with many doubts. I hope you are fine and safe. I wish everyone the best.

permalink   spinningmerkaba Mon, Mar 30, 2020 @ 11:03 AM
I watch the news reports coming in and I feel like I’m living in a movie, it’s so unreal, but yet real at the same time. I was happy to hear your recently uploaded mix. I think creativity is an excellent way to stay centered in this chaos. Be well!
Admiral Bob
permalink   Sat, Mar 14, 2020 @ 12:22 PM
In difficult times, art is often the only way to reflect how people feel. The news tells us what is happening, but only art takes a picture of the effect it has on us; art lets us express anxiousness or hope; love or despair; worry or the impetus to seize the day.

It is all valid.

Let us create art that reflects our times; comfort in this day so that people know they are not alone; and a message for tomorrow that tells them how resilient we were.

permalink   Kara Square Mon, Mar 16, 2020 @ 5:15 AM
Beautifully said. Thank you, Admiral.

permalink   spinningmerkaba Tue, Mar 17, 2020 @ 9:14 PM
I think you’re right Admiral. Making art is therapeutic. We are in this together and music is an art that is highly connecting. I’m glad we have each other.
Whitewolf
permalink   Thu, Mar 19, 2020 @ 11:08 PM
I’m in voluntary self isolation after having returned back to Ontario from British Columbia after visiting friends of the family to provide support and assistance while their daughters are/were in hospital combating Covid-19 (their parents are elderly).

Both had mild cases and are recovering nicely. And while I have no symptoms, I’m stuck at home alone for the next 14 days, with my wife and stepson staying at her parents, and my stepdaughter staying at her school residence. Well, I’m not “alone”, exactly… I have our 4 cats to keep me entertained :-), and I have more time to create as well!

Thank you all for creating music and sharing it with us. !t, like all else on ccMixter, has been a great comfort to me.

permalink   spinningmerkaba Mon, Mar 23, 2020 @ 10:40 AM
I’m happy to hear that your family and friends are safe and those recovering are doing well.

My partner, her daughter and I just moved last month and we had to leave our cat at Mom’s house because of some paperwork issues with the property owners. Max just came home last night. Good to have him back.

Lets make some music! We’ll keep you company over the next 14 days. Stay healthy.
spinningmerkaba
admin
permalink   Mon, Mar 23, 2020 @ 10:34 AM

I wrote a vocal for unreal_dm’s Blues Rag in Amin.

Pandemic Blues.

As we all know, remixing is a good way to spend time at home!

Should we start a #StayAtHome Playlist of Covid-19 tracks?

permalink   Kara Square Mon, Mar 23, 2020 @ 2:23 PM
Great idea!
martinsea
permalink   Fri, Mar 27, 2020 @ 10:47 AM
Signing in from Southern Europe, just to mention NINJAM — a way to jam live with other musicians stuck at home. If you use Reaper Software it’s easy : you put the Reaper Ninjam FX on your master mixer track, set up your inputs and off you go.(There are tutorials on youtube.) I do believe there’s also a stand-alone program for non-Reaper users , called Jamata or something like that, but I couldn’t locate it.
You can also set up your own Ninjam server and password protect it, such that the session is only open to people who you give the pw to.
May the music play on !
Stay safe, and all the very best, Martin

permalink   martinsea Fri, Mar 27, 2020 @ 10:52 AM
Well, I just saw under Pluggy Plugs that bangcorrupt also wrote about Ninjam and has set up a server.
Sorry for the duplication.

permalink   bangcorrupt Sat, Mar 28, 2020 @ 2:43 PM
JamTaba

I’ve never used it but I think it outputs a MIDI clock, which Reaper’s Ninjam plugin does not.

I moved my server to:
40.76.3.246:2049

I’ve also changed the license to CC-BY-NC, so stems can be uploaded to ccMixter. The default license is CC-BY-NC-SA.

Let me know if you want to jam sometime.

permalink   martinsea Wed, Apr 1, 2020 @ 5:44 AM
Hi bangcorrupt, I’m more of a mixer than a jammer but lets do it ! How about next Wednesday maybe 21:00 GMT, maybe then some of the musicians in US & Canada can join in. I d suggest you do another pluggy plug with all the details and see if it flies.
Best, Martin

permalink   Admiral Bob Thu, Apr 2, 2020 @ 1:08 PM
So how do you fight lag?

permalink   bangcorrupt Thu, Apr 2, 2020 @ 2:47 PM
By adding more latency and playing a whole interval out of sync. You set the length of an interval (e.g. 12 bars) and hear everyone else one interval after they play.

The ninjam website explains it better than I can.

It works best for a fixed chord progression, or weird experimental stuff.

Ninbot has lots of recordings of jam sessions.

permalink   martinsea Fri, Apr 3, 2020 @ 1:14 AM
a good explanation here too

permalink   bangcorrupt Thu, Apr 2, 2020 @ 2:29 PM
Wednesday is good :)

permalink   BeatMachine Sat, May 9, 2020 @ 11:34 AM
reaper and CCMixter share the same
“built by the community” mandate martin

they are “twins” in “parrellel universesE

it can be used well for trading tracks through email and every one being able to have access to the whole project at any time

I havent tried the ninjam extension
but

DO NOT USE WIFI
you are going to have to by some cables

Their forums are HOSTILE to MUSICIANS

search for kenny gioa + reaper on y-tub

permalink   BeatMachine Sat, May 9, 2020 @ 11:36 AM
Im hope i dont seem like i am “soliciting a product here”