Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Help » best way to upload original studio tracks?

best way to upload original studio tracks?

The Walt
permalink   Sat, Apr 14, 2007 @ 4:32 AM
I just found out about this site when searching for the best place to upload the original studio tracks from one of our latest songs by the walt.
I’m not quite sure it’s possible here, so:

1. Is it allowed to upload original studio tracks?
2. If so, what is the best way to upload (as a complete package, or separated? drums, guitars, vocals etc?)
3. Original tracks can of course be quite large, is there a maximum set on the upload?

Thank you.

The Walt

EDIT: just read about the 10mb limit, which basically makes uploading original tracks impossible. Any way around this?
victor
permalink   Sat, Apr 14, 2007 @ 5:20 AM
Most studio tracks have tons of empty space (-inf db or near enough) which makes them ripe for decent compression (the bits kind, not audio).

For compressing WAV you can use FLAC which is lossless. We accept FLAC uploads directly or if you can get them down to less then 10MB putting the FLACs into a ZIP can get you pretty far.

You can get tremendous quality and much smaller files if you’re use a lossy MP3 compressor that uses the LAME encoder. I can recommend WinLAME for Windows. If you use a VBR quality setting ‘2’ it will vary the encoding as needed averaging around 192kbs.

If you’re still not there, slicing files is a more efficient choice anyway. Repetitive riffs/beats with infinitesimal variation is little use to remixers here, we’re going to find two bars, loop it and vary the thing using our racks anyway. Smaller files, easier to preview, upload and download.

Once you have the files you the way you like you can upload the first sample using ‘Submit Files’.

Then, on that file’s page use the ‘Manage Files’ link to upload other samples from the same track. Each file upload is limited to 10MB but you can as many files in one upload record as it takes. There examples all over the site.

If you choose to upload fully mixed track as reference you can only upload it using ‘Manage Files’

Hope this helps,
VS
The Walt
permalink   Sat, Apr 14, 2007 @ 7:37 AM
yep. that’s loads of help. thank you.
I’ll get to it.
victor
permalink   Sat, Apr 14, 2007 @ 7:32 PM
oh, I should also mention: MONO

most wav editors allow you to combine channels by showing you differences between the channels. If the difference is below -40db you should consider that mono and cut the wav in half by making it mono. If this is heresy by all means ignore it and just mono-ize those tracks recorded in mono — but ears that sensitive are probably offended by much of the mangling that happens here — fair warning ;)

VS