Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Features » A suggested workaround easier than code

A suggested workaround easier than code

gurdonark
permalink   Thu, Jun 1, 2006 @ 9:53 PM
If one imports a CC-NC piece into the mixter, but remixes it with
CC BY works, then it can be very tricky to ensure that the resulting remix is CC-NC.

Two such workarounds are to upload a sample as NC or to just “add” an NC sample for listing purposes only.

I suggest a way to avoid this easily without having to recode the CC.

If a track were named “CCMixter NC Label”, then that dummy track title could be used by anyone with this dilemma, without having to do something artificial. One could just search “NC label” and then the song could be qualified as NC, even if the mixter portions are all merely BY.

I would just upload 33 seconds of silence with that title, but I don’t like to tamper. I therefore leave it as a suggested simple workaround easier than the current ones. Thus, when I use an outside NC source, I would not have to scramble a bit.
teru
permalink   Fri, Jun 2, 2006 @ 6:10 PM
So I take it my “Choose a Fourstones track at random” technique is not going to catch on. : )

I uploaded a track containing offsite CC-NC samples recently. I thought about uploading the samples here with a dummy account but decided to just link to the source site instead.

Eventually it may be a good option to have a way to link to outside CC sample sources somewhere in the track info. But right now 99% of samples used are connected to ccMixter so I would think it’s not a top priority.

BTW- Do you think uploading samples from the Stop Rokkasho or Bush of Ghosts projects would be a good idea? In other words, if we see some CC licenced samples outside of Mixter should we make an effort to upload them here? I was wondering about this. What do you guys think?