Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Announcements » Dig 3.0 Beta

Dig 3.0 Beta

victor
permalink   Fri, Sep 18, 2015 @ 3:28 PM
Hi all,

Part of Emily’s ‘Long Overdue Update’ announcement mentioned an upgrade to our search discover site dig.ccMixter.

Well, version 3.0 is hobbling along but it’s live and we’re looking for a few (or many!) beta testers.

What to do

- Visit the beta site

- Report feature requests, comments & bugs in email or at GitHub

- Internet Explorer users - please send screen shots!!

NOTE

dig is NOT aimed at musicians - the site exists for consumers of our music: video makers, podcasters, game developers etc. Pretend that’s you.

Details

When people search Google for ‘instrumental music for video’ or ‘free music’ etc. we want to be at the top of the results. We’re now using a bleeding-edge framework called Ember Fastboot that allows Google crawlers to see exactly what the page renders like in the browser. It’s a little shaky but it works and this was a huge reason to redo the site.

While we were at figured we might as well revamp it. Here’s what we were trying for: if we missed the mark, let us know!

- Looks better/more modern
- Easier to use (reacts to what you’re doing, no hidden features)
- Faster - pages should come up within seconds (or faster!)
- Better SEO*

Here’s the source code - it’s my first ever Ember project so please point out any newbie mistakes.

Thanks everybody - now dig!
VS

victor
permalink   Sun, Sep 20, 2015 @ 11:29 PM
OK - here’s an update:

First, thanks for everybody that test drove the thing and send me your feedback.

Based on some pretty consistent feedback I’ve been playing with the navigation and settings to (hopefully) give a better idea what is possible.

Things are definitely in pre-beta mode but I’m definitely listening and eventually… we’ll figure this thing out.

permalink   victor Thu, Sep 24, 2015 @ 1:41 PM
ONE MORE PUSH

Ok again - thanks so much for everybody’s feedback - the site is SO MUCH better thanks to you.

The design phase is done and features are locked in - the only thing left are the bugs - so pound again, this time as hard as you can and let me know when it breaks!

Wahoo!!

LINK TO BETA SITE

ps - I know it’s broken on mobile - that will come when all the bug fixing has stabalized