Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » Sony Hates You More Than Ever

Sony Hates You More Than Ever

victor
permalink   Fri, Nov 11, 2005 @ 7:44 AM
In case you’ve been in a cave: it turns out putting a Sony audio CD into your computer leaves you open to having them (yes, Sony) install the worst possible kind of virus attack called a ‘rootkit’ onto your Windows machine.

The phenomenal weblog DISS has been keeping up to date with the latest developments:
click here for latest info.

I highly recommend adding this weblog to your list of feeds because Dave is being very vigilant in this (and other cases).

Coincidentally I had a rootkit on my main DAW last week. I’m not a low-level systems kind of guru but I was a professional programmer for 20 years (including 6 at Microsoft) and it took me three full days to find and kill it — rootkits are impervious to ANY existing anti-virus software! (I used Rootkitrevealer that Dave mentions in the link above to finally hunt it down.)

This behavior by Sony is the closest thing to justifying civil-disobedience I have seen by the RIAA associated labels. And that’s saying a lot.

Peace,
VS
Acradian Burn
permalink   Fri, Nov 11, 2005 @ 9:39 AM
This will DEFINATELY help Sony sell more cd’s…
teru
permalink   Fri, Nov 18, 2005 @ 4:49 PM
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news...

How f’uped would this be if it proved to be true?
EJG (aka Laerlooper)
permalink   Fri, Nov 18, 2005 @ 10:27 PM
Here’s a snip of my rant in the FL Studio forum. I couldn’t rewrite it any better if I wanted to:
…When I buy a product, I trust that it’s designed NOT to harm me or any of my property. Companies work very hard to build a reputation that fits into this scheme, Sony included. What Sony did behind closed doors, however, was outright malicious towards its customers from the concept stage right through production and final sale. Then they were cocky about it when they first got caught! THEN they have the balls to say they’re FOR the artists? I’m an artist, and my computer is my musical instrument. And Sony was more than happy to screw with my musical instrument. Follow? This is Sooo wrong no matter how you look at it. I could never again trust in the integrity or safety of their crap….
I just hope the LAME people go after them with everything they’ve got. Argh! This thing has had me totally P.O.’ed all week!! And I used to love Sony’s stuff. Honestly!