Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Help » Music for Charity Video

Music for Charity Video

djcammy
permalink   Mon, Nov 28, 2011 @ 7:21 AM
Hi

I’ve found a piece of music that is perfect for a promo DVD I’m making for a local charity who help blind people.

Here’s the question, the piece is on a NC licence - I’m making this for a registered (non-profit) charity. But the DVD may be used to raise money for the charity (by encouraging people to give to them etc).

Do you think it would still be ok with an NC licence?

I’ve emailed the artist via this site to ask, but no reply. I certainly don’t want to do the wrong thing by the artist!

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

David
Clarence Simpson
permalink   Mon, Nov 28, 2011 @ 1:33 PM
I’m not a lawyer, but I would think that raising money for a non-profit is still non-commercial usage because it is not for the purpose of financial gain. By definition, a non-profit doesn’t operate for financial gain.

The legal text of the license says you can’t use it if the usage is “primarily intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or private monetary compensation”. So I’m pretty sure you’re in the clear here… but don’t sue me if I’m wrong! :)
Admiral Bob
permalink   Mon, Nov 28, 2011 @ 3:26 PM
You may find this interesting:

http://wiki.creativecommons...
djcammy
permalink   Fri, Dec 2, 2011 @ 3:30 AM
Thank you both for your help. Based on this I would say it should be covered, but I’ll let the charity managers make the final call.

I might post on the CC forum too and see if anyone there gives any indication.

Thanks again

David