Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Help » BPM's for Native American Flute and Didgeridoo

BPM's for Native American Flute and Didgeridoo

mindink
permalink   Tue, Sep 20, 2011 @ 6:34 PM
Howdy Folks,

So I own a few Native American Flutes and a Didgeridoo. I’m looking to create some samples and need to know about 3 popular types of BPMs. I’d like to create samples to be used for ambient, trance, and then something in between like rock/hip hop.

What would be the more popular BPM’s.

I know trance is like 180. I’m thinking 90. And then something in between.

Basically I’d like to create samples that could be used in a variety of genres without creating too many BPM versions.

If this makes any sense.

Oh and what’s the best inexpensive way to get my Shure M58 hooked up to my PC? I owned an M-audio mobile pre about 5 years ago. Is that still the best route? Are there any kind of decent XLR-to-USB connectors?

Thanks!
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Wed, Sep 21, 2011 @ 1:20 PM
120 BPM is very popular.

I love Didgeridoo! Looking forward to hearing your samples.

Wish I could help with the mic, I know how my gear works but not an expert on much else in that department ;)
septahelix
permalink   Wed, Sep 21, 2011 @ 1:46 PM
Really looking forward to the NAF samples!

I’d say 90, 120, and 180 would be great. as far as key - C,D, and G would be my default suggestion. perhaps their relative minors as well: A, B, E. i’m assuming it’ll mostly be pentatonic as well, which is perfect.

From a quick online search, I found XLR to USB interfaces ranging from about $25-$100. i’ve never used one, but all of them seem to have good reviews. might want to see if there’s a store you could go to in person if you don’t want to risk it. i would say just make sure you get a connector with phantom power if you ever plan to use a condenser that requires it. that’s all i know about that.

good luck!
mindink
permalink   Wed, Sep 21, 2011 @ 3:17 PM
Well I found the PERFECT device - Radio Shack sells an XLR to mini USB adapter for dynamic microphones for just about $17. Plug-n-play, no drivers required. Vista accepted it flawlessly. Tried it out quickly in Audacity and seems to work (apparently now I need new headphones!)

Thanks for the interest. I’m no pro, but i’m not terrible either. I’m very excited as I’ve been wanting to put these instruments to use!

90, 1280 and 180 it is. Thanks!

permalink   Admiral Bob Thu, Sep 22, 2011 @ 10:40 AM
At some point you might want to upgrade to something like an M-Audio pre-amp, but that will work fine for flutes and folk instruments.

90-95 bpm is another good tempo range. There’s over 3,000 tracks in that tempo range.