Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Help » Changing a song license

Changing a song license

Blake
permalink   Sat, May 21, 2011 @ 6:23 AM
I need this song changed to CC BY please.

http://ccmixter.org/files/b...

thanks
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Sat, May 21, 2011 @ 12:30 PM
Since the source you used is licensed with an NC license, you cannot upload the remix under a BY license, and the admins cannot change it to a BY license.

permalink   Blake Sat, May 21, 2011 @ 12:31 PM
Ok. A YouTube channel owner who is in the partnership program wanted to use this song, but was unsure because of its license. Will I have to tell them that they cannot use this song?

permalink   SackJo22 Sat, May 21, 2011 @ 12:32 PM
As long as the use is non-commerical and credit is provided according to the license, it can be used.

permalink   Blake Sat, May 21, 2011 @ 12:33 PM
Well, I think the way a YouTube partnership works is that the channel uploads videos and gets paid from advertisements on and surrounding the video. The pay is not coming from the video. Is this able to be used?

permalink   SackJo22 Sat, May 21, 2011 @ 12:34 PM
I’m not sure.. .

permalink   Blake Sat, May 21, 2011 @ 12:35 PM
hmmm…

permalink   SackJo22 Sat, May 21, 2011 @ 12:36 PM
I sent an email to the admins asking for some input.

permalink   Blake Sat, May 21, 2011 @ 12:36 PM
Ok Thank You
Admiral Bob
permalink   Sat, May 21, 2011 @ 12:48 PM
Creative Commons has done a lot of work on this. The license itself says an NC work can’t be used “in any manner that is primarily intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or private monetary compensation.”

I guess its really a question for the filmmaker. Are they putting up videos because it makes them money (desiring ad revenue counts as desiring money), or does the ad revenue share happen to be just an incidental feature of their use of Youtube without a significant commercial purpose?

You might be surprised together that CC itself is a little unsure where the line is (since the license language pretty much relies on the user’s good judgment.)

A study CC did on this:

http://wiki.creativecommons...

One interesting finding - those who do use materials for profit tend to have a slightly more expansive view of what constitutes a non-commercial activity.

permalink   Blake Sat, May 21, 2011 @ 12:51 PM
Well I emailed the channel owner and I asked him to clarify according to what was discussed in this post. So I’ll inform you guys when he responds back