Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » Rock Band/Guitar Hero - Musician's Friend or Foe?

Rock Band/Guitar Hero - Musician's Friend or Foe?

essesq
permalink   Fri, Dec 11, 2009 @ 7:58 PM
We’ve had Guitar Hero in our house for some time now and just got Rock Band. With the addition of the drums and the vocals as well as the Beatles software I am tempted to use the game as another training device in my musical educational arsenal, however I fear that it doesn’t really teach music but rather how to play video games to music.

Beats and notes don’t seem to add up or parts are fractured so lines of music are not really played in their proper rhythm. Particularly with the Beatles stuff which I know inside out and backwards playing 1/4 of the bass line is annoying and counter-intuitive. I am, however, very intrigued by the drum trainer.

So people, what do you think? Does using these games improve or inhibit true musicianship and what is your reasoning? Let’s take it as a given that anything which immerses one in music is beneficial at the outset.
Admiral Bob
permalink   Sat, Dec 12, 2009 @ 12:58 PM
I think it helps develop a better sense of time… sort of like metronome practice without an instrument. :)

My daughter picked up the guitar after playing Guitar Hero for years, and she’s quite good after only a year.

permalink   SackJo22 Sun, Dec 13, 2009 @ 12:48 PM
Quote: admiralbob77My daughter picked up the guitar after playing Guitar Hero for years, and she’s quite good after only a year.

You don’t think genes have anything to do with that? :-)

permalink   Admiral Bob Mon, Dec 14, 2009 @ 3:08 PM
Quote: SackJo22
You don’t think genes have anything to do with that? :-)

I dunno. I really suck at Guitar Hero. :)
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Sat, Dec 12, 2009 @ 9:41 PM
i have mixed feelings here, for whatever it is worth. i think rock band is a blast. and it exposes kids to music they may have missed if they just listen to pop radio. however, the musician-purist part of me despises it! i feel it is more of an exposure tool for fun, but it is not a serious experience with music. i’ve played it with a combination of serious musicians and just rock-banders - and the rock-banders are definitely better in that arena. there is a specificity to the game that just doesn’t apply in the real world.

have fun with it! but i wouldn’t use it as a teaching tool….

just my .02 :)

permalink   essesq Sat, Dec 12, 2009 @ 9:52 PM
Your .02 is worth the bank, Madam :-).

I think it may best be used as an opportunity for the kids to best the parents, but I was looking for some real musos opinions before I stressed over my poor performance.
spinmeister
permalink   Tue, Dec 15, 2009 @ 9:33 AM
and then again you can just use the “guitar” controller as a midi instrument/controller

permalink   essesq Tue, Dec 15, 2009 @ 4:52 PM
I almost got excited but it doesn’t work with GB or Wii instruments. :-( Still what a damn cool bit of software … very nifty…
gurdonark
permalink   Sat, Dec 19, 2009 @ 5:44 AM
me, i’m holding out for “Ambient Artist”, in which you click the mouse aimlessly to accompany beatless drones, and the key challenge is keeping your EQ from turning into a huge popsicle cloud.

permalink   SackJo22 Sat, Dec 19, 2009 @ 11:53 AM
:-)