Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » Lyrics wiki

Lyrics wiki

PorchCat
permalink   Wed, Sep 23, 2009 @ 3:25 PM
What about setting up a wiki for Creative Commons licensed lyrics, poetry and other short written work? It could be very helpful to people on ccMixter looking for new pells to record or cover. It would also just be nifty and useful on its own to have transcibed lyrics for songs on ccMixter. It would be easy enough to set up a wiki at hosting sites suitable for the project, such as @Wiki or Wiki Spot. Would some of the people here be interested in that? Would some of those here with pells be interested in contributing their lyrics and/or verifying transcriptions?

Just a thought. What do you think?

*meow*
gurdonark
permalink   Thu, Oct 1, 2009 @ 4:56 AM
great idea.
PorchCat
permalink   Sat, Mar 27, 2010 @ 11:04 PM
Bumping this old thread. I have a server where I can set up a wiki. I am willing to host the site and manage the wiki, as well as make other folks wiki administrators. Is there interest in this? Who would be interested in contributing lyrics?

I am thinking of using MediaWiki (same as Wikipedia) because it can include semantic tags, it is relatively easy to make templates (for example, to know the particular CC license used) and I am familiar with it. Due to Wikipedia, it is also much more familiar than most wiki software to the average Internet user. However, I’m open to other suggestions? Any preferred or recommended wiki software?

Also, what CC licenses should be featured? I am currently thinking of CC-BY, CC-BY-SA, CC-NC, and CC-ZERO. Should other licenses be available? Is this set of licenses tricksy or undesirable for any reason?

Thanks in advance for any input and feedback.

*meow*

permalink   Chomolungmas_Kleid Wed, May 4, 2011 @ 9:02 PM
I’m running such a wiki since 2008. Unfortunately almost nobody uses it. The licenses must comply with the definition of free cultural works (which is similar to the GNU FSD), so the license options “non commercial” and “no derivates” are currently not allowed in “my” wiki.

The wiki’s adress is: musik.uni-guehlen.de/wiki/Main_Page

Alternatively, there is a songbook project at wikibooks.org

— Thomas