Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » DIY » remixing

remixing

jones
permalink   Sat, Jul 30, 2005 @ 2:17 AM
so how do you remix any of the tracks if there are no multi track samples (single sample files) available,
is it me or is this stupid.

Thanks jones
victor
permalink   Sat, Jul 30, 2005 @ 7:54 AM
If you get a good wav editing program (Audacity is free, Sound Forge or Cool Edit Pro are professional) you can manipulate the sound wav to find isolated snippets, either one-shot (a single note or drum hit) or a small section of the song (perhaps a few seconds) where there is one or a few instruments playing and (if you’re lucky) loop the snippet into something reusable.

With the right sequencing program you can assign these snippets to MIDI keyboard keys for triggering at various intervals, usually in time to some basic track.

There other programs, called beat-slicers the perform many of these steps into one operation of cutting up the sample and assign the slices to MIDI keys.

Just a primer, let me know if you need more details or specific help.

Peace,
Victor
gurdonark
permalink   Sat, Jul 30, 2005 @ 8:23 AM
Hi Victor:

First, thanks for your recent critique on my attempt to do a novelty song with one of Lisa’s songs. I respect your judgment, and thus deleted the upload when I saw it missed its mark of trying to be amusing, at least with one listener.

My question, though, is whether, other than matching to a MIDI keyboard, you know of any software that will let one
easily configure the pitch of the sounds so that a song can be created. My current softwares will let me change and modify pitch, but they are not set up with a diatonic or chromatic scale, so that duplication of results is a challenge. It makes sense that some will pair to MIDI and get the job done, but is it necessary to go the MIDI route to get pitch control, or can it be done without the need to switch over to MIDI input?

I hope my question was clear, as I am a bit new to some of this.

Quote: If you get a good wav editing program (Audacity is free, Sound Forge or Cool Edit Pro are professional) you can manipulate the sound wav to find isolated snippets, either one-shot (a single note or drum hit) or a small section of the song (perhaps a few seconds) where there is one or a few instruments playing and (if you’re lucky) loop the snippet into something reusable.

With the right sequencing program you can assign these snippets to MIDI keyboard keys for triggering at various intervals, usually in time to some basic track.

There other programs, called beat-slicers the perform many of these steps into one operation of cutting up the sample and assign the slices to MIDI keys.

Just a primer, let me know if you need more details or specific help.

Peace,
Victor
victor
permalink   Sat, Jul 30, 2005 @ 9:00 AM
ACID is the perfect example of an application that does a great job at pitch controlling (chromatics is easy, cents control a little trickier) without any need to drop into MIDI (in fact their MIDI support has been pretty weak imo).

Hope this helps,
VS
jones
permalink   Sun, Jul 31, 2005 @ 3:57 AM
so how would you sucsessfuly lift a whole vocal track, bass track etc from a track
victor
permalink   Sun, Jul 31, 2005 @ 5:24 AM
gurdonark
permalink   Mon, Aug 1, 2005 @ 12:49 PM
Thanks for the tip on ACID, and for the link to the "extracting a vocal" post.

Even working with a bare handful of softwares for
music creation can be an incredible time-spender. I wonder how people who mix in several different softwares ever find time to see the sun :).

victor
permalink   Mon, Aug 1, 2005 @ 12:53 PM
victor
permalink   Wed, Jan 4, 2006 @ 10:23 AM
fixed the link. Thanks.