Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Features » Cannot attribute pre-cut Magnatune library

Cannot attribute pre-cut Magnatune library

PorchCat
permalink   Sun, Aug 23, 2009 @ 10:55 PM
Regarding the precut loop libraries found at:
http://ccmixter.org/magnatu...

I used two of them in a recent mix and will attribute them in the description, but they cannot be found when searching for samples on the upload page. I tried both the standard ccMixter and Magnatune sample pools, but they do not seem to be listed for attribution. They similarly cannot be found by using the sample browser. It may be how they are hosted or a similar issue, especially considering they predate the sample pool API. Are there other contest samples not included in the browsable sample pool? Can these items be reuploaded or otherwise added to the sample pool proper?

Thanks!

*meow*

P.S. This brings up another issue. The software will not let me choose a more restrictive license. I cannot upload the mix without violating the license terms, because that library is under a CC-BY-NC-SA, while the other samples only limit the mix to CC-BY-NC. In addition to this situation, it can also prevent remixers from using content outside of the ccM sample pool. (It’s not just a ShareAlike issue, as someone could use only BY samples from our sample pool but also use a NC sample from outside the site. They would not be able to upload their mix here without violating the license of the “extra” sample.)

I just read this thread. Essentially, I can upload the mix without the publish now option marked and request that an admin re-license the mix before it goes public and live. Is that correct?
PorchCat
permalink   Mon, Aug 31, 2009 @ 3:30 PM
Any response about the issue about the Magnatune loop packs? Any response to my final question?

As a general fix, would it be possibly to add additional fields for samples not in the ccMixter sample pool and their accompanying licenses?

*meow*

permalink   victor Mon, Aug 31, 2009 @ 3:38 PM
In the remix form I select ‘magnatune’ under pool and search for ‘loop’ and they all come up for me.

permalink   PorchCat Mon, Aug 31, 2009 @ 3:58 PM
Quote: fourstonesIn the remix form I select ‘magnatune’ under pool and search for ‘loop’ and they all come up for me.

I was initially going to reply that none of the thirty-six artist specific packs were part of that list. However, I see that it is just not an intuitive or apparent situation. I wasn’t searching for “loop”, I was searching for the specific artist I remixed (as I downloaded specific artist remix packs, not the genre packs).

After a bit of checking around, I see that the artist packs appear to all be part of the bigger genre packs. I see that I can just manually review the genre packs to pick the correct ones for attribution. However, while that fixes the issue for me, it is still a serious problem for anyone who doesn’t already know better and downloads the individual artist packs from ccMixter.

If the thirty-six packs hosted on the ccMixter page could specially note what collection they are part of and that remixers should attribute that broader genre pack when using the individual pack, it would prevent any further such confusion. It would be even more helpful if searching for the artist brought up the genre loop packs in results.

*meow*