Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Help » trackback not showing up?

trackback not showing up?

RyanK
permalink   Tue, Dec 2, 2008 @ 9:43 PM
Hi there,

I’m helping a friend by exposing them to the CC community… they found some music they liked, used it in a video, and properly attributed it in the description on YouTube…

I submitted a trackback for her a week or two ago to show her how that works, but it hasn’t shown up on the track page http://ccmixter.org/files/T...

I know its a manual process, but would expect it to be processed within a day or two, so i can only presume that its been declined. I didn’t get any notice of it and would like to remedy the problem if possible. I did see the forum post describing the rules, and didn’t see anything that might be causing a problem.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

RyanK
teru
permalink   Tue, Dec 2, 2008 @ 11:27 PM
Yes I declined it.

It looked to me like an advertisement which technically is misuse of a NC licensed track.

Sorry if I am mistaken. Please resubmit it if this is not the case and I’ll make sure it gets tracked back. : )

permalink   RyanK Wed, Dec 3, 2008 @ 2:25 PM
Quote: teruYes I declined it.

It looked to me like an advertisement which technically is misuse of a NC licensed track.

Sorry if I am mistaken. Please resubmit it if this is not the case and I’ll make sure it gets tracked back. : )

Ok.. I’ll resubmit it… i believe it to be a mistake. I’m curious what made it seem like an adverstiment. Was it the URL on the video?

I would think that would be quite a stretch to consider that commercial, however she is a model and is posting videos from her shoots. She is not selling these videos nor attempting to gain “commercial advantage”. It is self-promoting though, but wouldn’t everything that’s posted to the web then ultimately be considered commercial?

I only ask to clarify the spirit of the non-commercial clause. If its an issue I’ll make sure to have her select music that is not under a NC license.. I was always under the impression that it meant i couldn’t put the track on a compilation and sell it.

If a NC licenses prevent using the track in a promotional video.. where does the line get drawn of what is acceptable and what isn’t?
Clearly, a car company using a NC track for background music in a commercial would probably not be allowed, but a film student who is making a movie would probably be ok, even if it is that movie that gets the student noticed and launches a lucrative career.

I’d say she’s much closer to the film student in that she is promoting her work somewhat which may lead to larger engagements, but she isn’t directly profiting from the use of the music in said videos.

Hmm.. maybe this doesn’t belong in the Help section anymore and is a broader CC question… Thanks if you read all of this, and feel free to send me off someplace else to seek answers.

One other thing, i don’t believe that i got an email notification of the rejection… would probably be a good thing to inform people why something couldn’t be approved. Could definitely be an education tool if a video is used inappropriately!

Thanks again!

RyanK

permalink   teru Wed, Dec 3, 2008 @ 2:59 PM
“I’m curious what made it seem like an adverstiment.”

My mistake.

trackbacked

permalink   spinmeister Wed, Dec 3, 2008 @ 3:07 PM
sorry to barge into the thread, but there’s an interesting survey about the meaning of NC by the creative commons organization.

You can now return to your regular thread. :-)