Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Help » Sampling plus compatibility

Sampling plus compatibility

dangerous_objects
permalink   Sun, Jul 13, 2008 @ 1:40 AM
I gather from searching old forum posts that there are issues with Sampling Plus licencing compatibility, and this FAQ seems to indicate that it’s incompatible with other licenses, but there are tracks on CCMixter using samples from the Wired CD and the licence description sounds naively compatible with BY-NC. What’s going on? Is there any official statement or other information sources that I should be aware of? (Am not asking for legal advice, I just imagine that the people here would have had to findanswers to the same question…)
spinmeister
permalink   Sun, Jul 13, 2008 @ 11:44 AM
here are a couple of resources:

from the faq page of the Creative Commons Wiki a re-licensing compatibility matrix

a license compatibility wizard from CC Taiwan as mentioned on the main creative commons blog

hope that helps :-)
Mike Linksvayer
permalink   Sun, Jul 13, 2008 @ 10:52 PM
I’m not a lawyer, so you won’t get the legal advice you didn’t ask for. :)

My understanding is that because Sampling+ includes

Quote: Prohibition on advertising. All advertising and promotional uses are excluded from the above rights, except for advertisement and promotion of the Derivative Work(s) that You are creating from the Work and Yourself as the author thereof.

you couldn’t incorporate a Sampling+ work into a BY-NC work and pass along all of the freedoms BY-NC offers — Sampling+ could prohibit a promotional use that qualifies as not commercial.

I could well be wrong.

permalink   dangerous_objects Mon, Jul 14, 2008 @ 12:50 AM
Quote: Mike Linksvayer
you couldn’t incorporate a Sampling+ work into a BY-NC work and pass along all of the freedoms BY-NC offers

I suspect you’re on the right track - the license summary even touches on those restrictions:

Quote: You may not use this work to advertise for or promote anything but the work you create from it.

I am guessing it’s just that this wasn’t well thought through enough in 2004. I never spent much time thinking about license compatibility - most important software is BSD, GPL or LGPL. Pity - I wanted to sample le tigre :(

Thanks!