Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » DIY » "Matter of Time" stub rereleases?

"Matter of Time" stub rereleases?

iDude
permalink   Wed, Jul 9, 2008 @ 5:24 AM
This whole business is rather new with creative commons work. I recently did a remix of Shannon Hurley’s “Matter of time”. I created a Bubble synth from scratch using a VSTi synth and MIDI. I also put some work into her vocals between three tracks, two of which are used for delay with a little volume envelop contol applied. I was thinking about Releasing the Bubble synth as a Stub file, along with a stub file of the vocal tracks. Basically, toss it out there for other people to run with it or not. You know in the spirit of tossing music around and people building off from things. Is this something that I’m allowed to do on here? I realize that on just the Bubble synth stub, I would be the copyright owner of that. She maintains right to the vocal redo track right? I’m just trying to figure out a few things here. Such as releasing things under either my Remix or posting them seperate on here. I’m just basically thinking out loud about all this too. Things I am considering doing. Any feedback, on this would be dearly appreciated.
victor
permalink   Wed, Jul 9, 2008 @ 1:29 PM
Quote: Is this something that I’m allowed to do on here?

That’s why we’re here

Quote: I would be the copyright owner of that. She maintains right to the vocal redo track right?

Correct.

Quote: Such as releasing things under either my Remix or posting them separate on here

That’s up to you but something to consider: if you add it to your remix using ‘add files’ and then mark the addition as ‘sample’ then it will show up in the sample browser along with the remix which might give some folks a context of where it came from. Otherwise you can upload separate using the ‘Submit Samples’ form and it will still be listed, but stand alone.

Personally, I rarely go back to the ‘context’ - either the sample works for me in my context or it doesn’t but people seem to care esp. if it’s an odd sample with weird timing or key ambiguities.