Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Announcements » Sunday features and bugfixes

Sunday features and bugfixes

victor
permalink   Sun, Jun 22, 2008 @ 3:35 PM
- I’ve updated the site with an optimization that (assuming you have default browser settings) should make pages come up much faster.

- We now officially support Firefox 3 - what that means is that I will no longer deferring bugs reported in just FF3 to some far off day.

- For registered users: the little playlist menu that pops up when click on ‘Add to…’ now includes an ‘edit’ link that will take you directly to the playlist properties form for the playlist next to it. After you hit submit you will be (should be) returned to the screen you came from.

- In Submit Remix: There was a bug in Freesound sample pool search where they return a search result for one of their uploads that has actually been deleted. This would hork the search (no damage done, just ugly results in the Submit Remix form). This has been fixed on our side so you don’t see the ugliness any more.

- Lots of other little corner-case fixes, mostly having to do with protecting the site against crazy ass bots, where it’s probably better you never knew they existed.

geek notes

We’ve gotten a lot more aggressive with our HTTP if-modified-since handling. Basically on any write to the database we reset our IMS internal clock. Then on every page and feed request we check against the date and return a reply instruction to the browser/feed reader to use the copy of the page/feed it has in it’s cache.

When I first started on this project I looked at other CMS codebases and was somewhat surprised when I realized how many of them scribble into the database on every user visit, even anonymous users. We don’t have that kind of crazy mining needs and we’ve come to rely on Google analytics to track anonymous user data.

This philosophy combined with the new IMS code, plus the fact that legit bots like google and Y! really, really love well-behaved IMS, should make the overall site performance much, much faster, in appearance but also lighter server load.
spinmeister
permalink   Sun, Jun 22, 2008 @ 8:31 PM
love your geek notes! Try to get that from myschpace :-)