Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » Features » Recommendations

Recommendations

radiotimes
permalink   Mon, Jun 16, 2008 @ 6:01 PM
It seems since the introduction of the recommendation feature that more people are leaving a recommend than posting a review than was the norm before.

I know I do it a little more than I used to as I now know that the mixer can at least see I have been positive about the mix even if time does not allow a full review, Also I find sometimes that after leaving a recommend I forget to go back and give a review.

In addition some reviewers do not have English as their first language and struggle to put into words their feelings on the mixes.

It would be nice to have a “Chart” based on the recommends as well as the reviews as they seem to me to be a more reflective showing of the mixes popularity than just the review.
victor
permalink   Mon, Jun 16, 2008 @ 7:39 PM
Quote: radiotimesIt seems since the introduction of the recommendation feature

The ratings feature was introduced in spring 2005 and converted to recommends in Sept. 2007, so I’m not sure how far back you’re talking about?

Quote: that more people are leaving a recommend than posting a review than was the norm before.

Sorry, what are you basing this on? Last month an upload that got a rating was about 80% likely to get a review, so far this month it’s over 90%.

Quote: It would be nice to have a “Chart” based on the recommends as well as the reviews as they seem to me to be a more reflective showing of the mixes popularity than just the review.

The “ Picks” tab has a current user favorite chart.

The Remix Browser has an option to sort by ‘Ratings’.

For a more historical perspective on the ratings system see the sticky thread in the Help forum “ All About Ratings

VS

permalink   radiotimes Mon, Jun 16, 2008 @ 11:25 PM
Ah just found the ratings menu you referred to.

Yes that does the trick.

Thank You!!

permalink   victor Mon, Jun 16, 2008 @ 11:37 PM
ah yes, welcome to the fold ;)

So far for the month of June the picks tab was viewed 2,305 (unique) viewers, the Reviews page by 862 - so I think people are finding the ratings chart OK.
MC Jack in the Box
permalink   Mon, Jun 16, 2008 @ 11:17 PM
heh, i just want to say after victor’s linkback that all the brouhaha over ratings and the changeover brings back some historical nostalgia and makes me feel like an old fart. and through it all, victor is so damned accommodating! the king!

anyways, just speaking on behalf of myself, sometimes, if i like a remix but have nothing to really add, and there’s probably already a bunch of glowing accolades since it’s good, i might just give it the old mini thumb instead of saying something that’s probably been said or covered. it’s still a nice way of validating the effort, and it’s also kind of nice to know who liked it. sometimes, if i’m inspired, i’ll write something, or if i catch something i feel is worth pointing out (although that’s a loaded gun). and usually, i wish i could review like gurdonark but i can’t so i live vicariously through his awesome reviews. :)

honestly RT, i think it’s alot about timing. so much stuff gets posted now that it’s easy to post something and within hours it’s buried and off the page. i got tons of reviews for one of my latest mixes and the latest one hasn’t gotten diddly. go figure. at least my man d squared like it.

so recommends are good! remember that! i think i even named them! (to replace that monster thumb….)

permalink   radiotimes Mon, Jun 16, 2008 @ 11:31 PM
Not sure if you misunderstood my post by I AM IN FAVOUR of the recommends as I think they give a better picture on the poularity of a mix than just the reviews on their own.

permalink   victor Mon, Jun 16, 2008 @ 11:34 PM
you did name it ;)

It really is a non-issue, looking back at the last 4 months I found no way to correlate any event that maps the to the rate between the number of recommends vs. reviews.

For uploads that are dated June there have been 681 recommends and 608 reviews compared with May where those uploads have been recommended 1,076 times and reviewed only 874.

permalink   radiotimes Mon, Jun 16, 2008 @ 11:41 PM
Maybe my assumption that there was an increase in the recommends versus reviews in recent weeks is wrong.

My main point is that I believe the recommend a truer reflection of the mixes popularity than the review and your stats bear that out.

Its my opinion and as you have already provided a menu for looking at this I have nothing further to say.

permalink   victor Tue, Jun 17, 2008 @ 1:44 AM
Quote: radiotimesMaybe my assumption … is wrong.

heh, You’re a funny guy RT ;)

Quote: radiotimesMy main point is that I believe the recommend a truer reflection of the mixes popularity than the review and your stats bear that out.

I’m not sure what stats you’re talking about but the feature is called ‘recommends’ so yea, it would be a good indicator, along with lots of indicators, like number of playlists, what registered users think of the track. Then there’s less obvious, but much more important data like navigation patters - like if a lot people exit the site after listening to the song and we never see those visitors again that would be a huge negative because even if a song gets a ton of listens/streams/plays (like it’s sitting on top of the EdPick list), if we never see those users again, I would claim the song was a turn off for them.

Another example: If a track ends up in a video or podcast that track has gets a huge multiplier effect where 1,000s (or in some popular YouTube scenario, millions) of people are reacting to it.

So keep in mind that less than 1/10th of 1% of daily visitors even have accounts here so if you’re talking real world ‘popularity’ there’s nothing you could do by browsing around, looking at things like recommends that will give any meaningful factual data.