Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Features » trackback abuse

trackback abuse

MC Jack in the Box
permalink   Fri, Jun 13, 2008 @ 4:55 PM
Not trying to create any red flags here (or more work for you victor), but i’m wondering if you guys considered this when putting this feature together. I mean, I love the feature, but I recently noticed this trackback on J. Lang’s page, and it kind of seemed like a bogus trackback, and I realize that J. had nothing at all to do with it, but just tracking back to a myspace page (which doesn’t seem to have any mention of the Lang track) seems like it’s just phishing for listeners by riding J’s coattails. I’m sure with any feature like this there’e the possibility to abuse it, and it is a cool feature when used right. “brainburger” has never posted anywhere on the site or registered. it’s kind of like spamming this feature the way someone might spam registering for a BBForum for example. And I could be wrong, maybe he is using J’s material, but i couldn’t find it and he got 4 clicks from me.

/vent
victor
permalink   Fri, Jun 13, 2008 @ 6:11 PM
All trackbacks go through a manual admin approval process, done by me and volunteers. Right now we’re getting several a day and I think you’ll find most are vetted properly - every now and then one slips through like that one - now gone.

Someday we’ll figure out a less man-intensive way that automates the process but right now it is as prone to error as humans, which is to say a lot and often.

Keep pointing out the bogus ones, it’s just a few clicks to kill it.

VS

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Fri, Jun 13, 2008 @ 8:52 PM
no worries. your hard work (as well as any others) is always very much appreciated.

now i’m gonna shut up and work on something.