Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Features » lead sheets

lead sheets

MC Jack in the Box
permalink   Fri, Jun 13, 2008 @ 1:07 PM
Ok, I know I’m asking alot here, but since somebody started a thread about lyrics, I’d really love it if anyone felt so inclined, to include a lead sheet (or the basic info in the file properties area) with their pella.

Yes, yes, I know that’s asking alot. And i know I’m asking as a selfish musician and producer to save me some time from figuring out your arrangement and get right to the fun, creative stuff. But I’ll be honest, the quality of the remixes of your pella will increase exponentially if people knew what they were working with. I’d be happy with the bpm, but providing me (and others) with more information about things like key, meter, and structure of the arrangement and melody line will avoid alot of issues like wrong key matchups, synch, and other things that make your pella sound like ass (ok, maybe that’s a bit harsh).

So I’m not complaining. The highest props to all you vocalists that submit your pellas to be remixed. I just want to give you the best possible outcome. Just adding a simple text file with arrangement info as a separate download option, or adding it to the properties would be awesome.

Disclaimer: I know that a number of people provide this info in their submission in the properties area, but mostly I’ve seen it with sample submissions and not pella submissions. And finally, PLEASE don’t let my request discourage anyone from submitting anything. If you (the singer) doesn’t know this info, no worries! I’m just saying it could go a long ways towards not only improving the quality of the remixes you get back, it will most likely also increase the number you get (depending on the quality of the material of course).

that’s it. thanks for listening.
gurdonark
permalink   Fri, Jun 13, 2008 @ 1:48 PM
A lead sheet and a MIDI of the melody would be the very ideal.
I know not everyone can do a lead sheet easily, but a lead sheet would be great!
victor
permalink   Fri, Jun 13, 2008 @ 3:51 PM
Here’s some stats that I only bring up to prove how much we appreciate having a pell, with or without the meta data (bpm, key, leadsheet), with or without fx like reverb, with or without an example full mix, etc.

Four years ago I was looking for CC licensed legal pells to remix on the Web and I remember the exact number I found after weeks of looking: zero.

Both of you have been here, literally from the beginning (gurdonark is user 569 out 15,069 and MC Jack is 118!) so I know you guys were in the same boat 3.5 years ago when the site launched.

As of this writing here are 968 pells on just this site.

I’m not a mathematician but I think that growth rate can be quantified as “infinity” ;) And yet, there are a few million singers to go ;)

So while we are anxious to move to the next phase we understand that you are just getting your feet wet in this so-crazy-it-might-just-be-sane world we live in at ccMixter and we’re really, just happy to have you here.

VS
MC Jack in the Box
permalink   Fri, Jun 13, 2008 @ 4:23 PM
yes, like fourstones mentions, if you sing and record yourself, don’t be shy. or intimidated with technical requests for information you might not know anything about.

i’ve seen some fairly professional sounding pellas posted lately and i’m just hoping that on a production level, if the information is there, please share it if you have it and it’s not a hassle. knowledge is power.

i think this request is really a way of supporting and re-iterating victor’s position that ccmixter is not so much a remix site but a site where original bits, especially pellas and vocal stems can be turned into something new. i said something similar a while back in the “remix vs. song” argument in one of the other threads.

“Fri, Dec 15, 2006 @ 11:28 PM
as i’d consider myself both a songwriter and a remix producer, i’d say the distinction is pretty arbitrary and subjective, and shouldn’t cloud the art form.

i’ve been writing and recording original music much longer than i’ve been remixing, yet most of what i do these days are “remixes”, but to me, a remix by the nature of the word implies re-arranging an original mix, which at least for me on ccmixter, rarely if ever happens. the majority of the time, i’m working with a random set of samples with a like-minded bpm in a consistent key and build my arrangement just as if i was putting together an original song, it’s just that i have a virtual band instead. i go through the same creative process with arrangement, instrumentation, and production. using samples has freed me from the restrictions of the instruments in my studio and the inabilty to play others. before i had a bbgun and now i have an arsenal. so samples to me are like instruments in a song, or pieces of my musical puzzle.

so for me anyways, i’d say “remixes” can be “songs”, but not all remixes are songs.

i think what we do here deserves better than being labeled just a song. or a remix.

it’s web music 2.0”

and with that in mind, lets make some Web 2.0 music. :)