Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Help » sample preview question

sample preview question

TST
permalink   Mon, Jun 2, 2008 @ 3:45 AM
Hi All,

I’ve posted some samples from my project’s first EP, and I have a couple questions. It seems that the first track I uploaded always ends up being the “preview”, and in my case that’s always the drums. If these samples are for specific songs, should I upload a lo-fi encoded mp3 of the song too? Is that what the “rough mix” option is for? I didn’t upload any full mixes b/c I know they are not allowed unless they make us of samples from other ccmixter artists. So how do I let people know what these samples sound like? http://ccmixter.org/people/...

Thanks!
Dave
victor
permalink   Mon, Jun 2, 2008 @ 9:36 AM
see this post for how to upload a preview/rough mix.

permalink   TST Mon, Jun 2, 2008 @ 11:20 AM
awesome. thanks!

permalink   TST Mon, Jun 2, 2008 @ 11:36 AM
after reading more in the forums… is it a waste of ccmixter server space to upload a rough mix / preview? i mean, is it better to just link to the mp3 file in the Description?

also, what do people find more useful:
1. finding all of the individual tracks from a certain recording in a bundle
2. finding individual tracks separately as samples labeled by instrument (so you can preview each one invidiually from the sample browser)

just want to contribute and make sure everything i post is user-friendly.

thanks for your help!
-dave

permalink   victor Mon, Jun 2, 2008 @ 11:42 AM
these are judgment calls and I have to admit that uploaders have been kind of all over the place wrt this.

My philosophy: if the beats are really where they fit together then the preview is probably not needed. If there’s any question about it tho’ a preview could be extremely helpful.

Regarding bundling, it depends on the types of samples:

A ZIP file and an MP3 preview seems to work if the clips are relatively small. I’ll listen to the preview and I like one or two parts I have no problem downloading the ZIP.

If the clips are really long though, like separated full studio tracks then I’d want them as individual files (added with ‘add file’ under the same record) so I can preview them individually in the sample browser.

permalink   TST Mon, Jun 2, 2008 @ 12:14 PM
thanks, that was super helpful.