Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » Interesting Disucssion about FLAC at Freesound

Interesting Disucssion about FLAC at Freesound

victor
permalink   Thu, Mar 13, 2008 @ 10:33 AM
Freesound is struggling with download formats and there’s an interesting discussion shaping up on their new blog which includes the author of FLAC.

Open formats only ever made sense to me as admin for the site if they are practical (e.g. MP3 has IP issues but there’s no getting around it’s popularity).

Before running this site I used RAR format to archive personal projects but it wasn’t open. FLAC is what we use for album tracks (like Bucky and Vadim) because, popular or not, it’s extremely handy and does have usable GUI tools.
DJ Rkod
permalink   Thu, Mar 13, 2008 @ 1:35 PM
I’ve been pushing for people to upload more FLACs for a long time now. It’s a great format, especially for full (non-looped) tracks that have a lot of silence.

As far as I know it offers the best trade-off between audio quality and size and it’s lossless to boot, so my it doesn’t distort in bad ways when you put effects on it.

jc” in the comments at the article you linked to makes some really good points. FLAC is pretty widely supported and if more people start using it, there will be more support.

The official FLAC site has very simple tools for converting to and from .wav and other formats. Trust me, it’s really easy to do this, and encoding losslessly is always going to make anything that samples you sound that much better.

Also, it’s a bit off-topic but I seem to recall the Bucky Johnson stuff was in MP3 format.

permalink   victor Fri, Mar 14, 2008 @ 2:08 PM
eh, I stand corrected and you recall correctly, there was so much material with the Bucky album even FLAC wasn’t small enough to make it practical. We have used it for other contests/pools and it’s still my first choice for large sources.
gurdonark
permalink   Fri, Mar 14, 2008 @ 4:51 AM
I use FLAC samples from time to time, but my softstudio does not convert FLAC as readily as many other formats. Thus, if a sample here or in freesound is in FLAC, I tend to use it less often. I agree that if everyone used it, then it would be more useful to me because more software would account for it. I feel similarly about ogg, and yet until that use comes, it’s just extra steps to deal with samples for me. FLAC is a very good format, and nothing against it, really. It’s just a little more hassle in my softstudio. I can convert it and use it, but it’s not quite as integrated as other formats.

permalink   victor Fri, Mar 14, 2008 @ 2:19 PM
I suspect you are the typical case and the one Bram is correctly leaning on.

I recall in the not so distant past when the tools I use didn’t load mp3 natively and I was always having to go through the extra step of converting them to wav.

Nobody wants to break up the creative flow with these technical steps, I totally understand that. I’ve always seen ccM as a productivity tool first - whenever someone requests a feature the first filter it has to pass through is “will this make remixing easier?”

file formats, bandwidth, cpu and server space issues are hardly the musician’s domain. For that matter, the only reason I advocate for any ‘open-ness’ in music or software is in service of creativity.
Nickleus
permalink   Fri, Jul 17, 2009 @ 11:18 PM
Quote: fourstonesthere’s an interesting discussion shaping up on their new blog which includes the author of FLAC.

thanks so much for this link fourstones, i’ve been totally “turned on” to flac! i’ve started posting flac files to ccmixter in addition to wav and mp3 or do you do guys prefer we post a limited number of formats? or is storage space not a problem (i imagine it is to some extent since you don’t allow uploading of wav files)?