Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » NIN released new album under CC

NIN released new album under CC

gmz
permalink   Tue, Mar 4, 2008 @ 4:05 PM
Nine Inch Nails released a new album, and licensed it under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike license. Admins, can you call them and see if some samples are making their way to ccmixter? :-)

http://ghosts.nin.com/

Quote: Nine Inch Nails presents Ghosts I - IV, a brand new 36 track instrumental collection available right now. Almost two hours of new music composed and recorded over an intense ten week period last fall, Ghosts I - IV sprawls Nine Inch Nails across a variety of new terrain.
teru
permalink   Tue, Mar 4, 2008 @ 4:35 PM
Sure why not. I’ll send an email. No harm in asking I guess.

BTW - Proof that Mr. Reznor is THE smartest man in the music biz right now.

permalink   gmz Tue, Mar 4, 2008 @ 5:37 PM
Quote: No harm in asking I guess.

I hope so. But if the album is released under CC, this is its natural playground :-)

Quote: BTW - Proof that Mr. Reznor is THE smartest man in the music biz right now.

Absolutely… But I keep smiling at the pattern. First radiohead, than NIN: maybe “higher” artists are ready to make it happen. And we are getting ready for tons of legal sampling :-)
victor
permalink   Tue, Mar 4, 2008 @ 6:01 PM
as far as I’ve been told they want to keep the samples on their site during the initial launch and while we could post them here, I prefer to respect the wishes of the artist.

permalink   gmz Wed, Mar 5, 2008 @ 6:41 AM
Quote: fourstonesas far as I’ve been told they want to keep the samples on their site during the initial launch and while we could post them here, I prefer to respect the wishes of the artist.

I didn’t knew they said something about samples, except that the album is released under that license. I was just thinking about saying them “hey, maybe you know it, but there’s this great place about cc remixing, and we’d love to have some samples from you there, that would be great” . nothing less, nothing more.

BTW, I have the highest respect for artists who are experimenting new forms of distribution and licensing, really. I’m helping in this “transition” some italian half-mainstream groups, explaining the power and the good karma ccMixter can have, and I just wanted to make the same with them. I apologize if I sounded somewhat arrogant, that wasn’t my attitude.

permalink   victor Wed, Mar 5, 2008 @ 1:53 PM
hardly arrogant at all (!)

I only know what I’m told, the band wants to launch the music from their site and then later spread it wider. As a courtesy to the band we’ll be respecting their wishes here.

permalink   BiCho Tue, Mar 25, 2008 @ 6:27 PM
since the .flac files are already available at [url=http://www.archive.org/details/nineinchnails_ghosts_I_IV][/url]by now… I guess its fine to post them here too, ain’t it?

permalink   victor Tue, Mar 25, 2008 @ 10:40 PM
I’d prefer to hear from the band first. I double check again.

permalink   gmz Sun, Apr 6, 2008 @ 5:52 AM
Quote: fourstonesI’d prefer to hear from the band first. I double check again.

yes, please!
DJ_Saku
permalink   Fri, Jul 18, 2008 @ 1:12 PM
nin’s latest album “The Slip” is also under a CC license.

http://theslip.nin.com/