Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Help » how do you pull a song?

how do you pull a song?

eojin
permalink   Wed, Dec 5, 2007 @ 2:22 PM
i recently posted a song which un-intentionally breached the copy-right laws of the U.S.(i live in canada) and ineed to pull it off the site. after seacrhing and searching i could notfind how. please let me know!
duckett
permalink   Wed, Dec 5, 2007 @ 4:18 PM
Just go to your page, click on the remix, and look over to your right- you’ll find a list of actions available to handle various aspects of your remix… in this case, just click “Delete”, it will then tell you that “this action is irreversible, are you sure?” Click to confirm the delete, it will then tell you it’s been deleted; you’ll be all set after that.
I don’t think anyone thought you were trying to be sneaky- but if you’re not sure if something might be copyrighted, you’re better off assuming that it is, and not using it- no matter what country’s involved. Again, if you wonder about something at all, your best bet is to stick with stuff you’re absolutely certain won’t get a pack of lawyers howling to come after you, or ccmixter- the admins here are very friendly, but have zero tolerance for use of copyrighted material on the site.
Hope this helped!

permalink   spinmeister Wed, Dec 5, 2007 @ 4:33 PM
It’s not that easy to keep up with the different copyright laws of all of the different jurisdictions - even if you are an expert or have specific knowledge in your home country. So honest errors will be made, especially by people just getting into this whole scene.

I have been following copyright laws/rules for a few years now (though I’m definitely not a lawyer), and thus have tremendous sympathy for people who stub their toes inadvertently as they join this crazy series of tubes. :-)

And different countries have different craziness in their copyright laws. Even the differences between the US and Canada are astounding, never mind the differences to the various western European countries and I know even less about some of the other countries.

All you can do is, try your best, and if you make a mistake undo it as quickly as you can. :-)
gurdonark
permalink   Wed, Dec 5, 2007 @ 6:35 PM
Duckett gave you the right info on pulling your mix. I hope that you will post again, though, with Creative Commons or open source materials, so that we can enjoy your work!

If you’re hunting samples, this site, the freesound project, splicemusic.com, soundtransit.nl,
jamglue, and a host of other sites have tons of things you can use under Creative Commons licenses, and make new mixes.